Saturday, May 5, 2012

How Do We Help Fight Food Deserts?

Here is chart I created based off of my student's answers to their food desert worksheets from the previous day.
After my lesson on food deserts, I took home all of my student's work and looked for patterns in their answers. From there I generated this chart to put together a visual aid for my students describing the problem we found in Newark. This chart led to a conversation describing the ways that we can help fight food deserts in our city.
Here is a picture of the list of ways my students thought we could help fix the food desert in Newark.

I then had my students go back to their seats and write in their journals about what they thought was the most important way to help our city.

Here is an example of a student's response to what they would do to help fight the food desert.
Here is another example of a student's work describing the ways she can help fight the food desert. You'll notice she phonetically sounded out "Newark" as "New York".

Here is another example of a student's writing.

No comments: